Friday 4 November 2016

5a: Considering ethics...


As I progress on this course, the temperamental life of a performer has become even more obvious to me. Even in the short time span of module one, I have been to numerous auditions, got a cruise contract, decided not to re sign with my then agent, got pneumonia and had to return from said cruise contract and played Mimi in Rent. The only relatively steady part of a performers life are auditions (not necessarily for a job you want, but they are always there in some form) and this has lead me to take real interest in the audition process, the idea of the 'professional auditionee' which I have discussed in previous blogs, and now the ethical considerations to audition practices.

As stated in the handbook, this section is meant to stimulate your own thinking rather than trying to find the answers via documents or discussion, so, my initial thoughts on the ethics surrounding the audition process all link to the main stems of my mind map...


Preparation
  • I would expect auditions to be advertised in appropriate places i.e. the stage and information in regards to the audition to be clear, for example, time, place, what to bring, what to wear e.t.c.
  • I would expect audition notices to only be given for genuine positions that are available. 
Preparation by audutionee
  • I would expect auditionee's to have planned their journey in order to be on time
  • i would expect auditionee's to have planned for their audition, by prepping sheet music, dance shoes e.t.c.

The process
  • I would expect there to be some form of code of conduct in place at the audition location, whether it be a dance studio or other to ensure the area is sufficient for the process. For example, safe floors to dance on, enough space to dance safely, some form of privacy in the way of separate rooms for closed singing auditions.
  • I would expect cv's to be handled with a level of privacy.
  • I would expect members of the panel to be courteous towards auditionee's by not discussing publicly or loudly how the feel about certain auditons
  • I would expect the panel not to discriminate in any way i.e. race, sex, age
  • I would expect all auditionee's to be on time
  • I would expect auditionee's to be given ample time to prepare i.e. change, warm up.
  • I would expect auditionee's to have a private place to change.
  • I would expect all auditionee's to be courteous towards other auditionee's
  • I would expect all auditionee's to be courteous towards the panel and any other member of staff at the venue i.e. not talking when the choreographer is trying to teach the group 

These points are obviously only my opinion and I am aware that even some of these are not always followed so i am looking forward to exploring further by looking at statutory sources to find out what is actually expected. If there is anyone looking at something similar please feel free to share your thoughts below! 




1 comment:

  1. Good approach to understanding your ethical landscapes Lauren.

    ReplyDelete