Saturday 19 March 2016

Resources, networks and my professional practice...


After a very enlightening skype session earlier with Adesola, I have been left contemplating many new ideas and different approaches to the module. One of the topics the group discussed was our resources. The question was presented 'If you broke your leg tomorrow and could no longer dance, what would you do?' this type of question can be applied to anyones chosen practice and left me considering what my options actually were, not my fantasy job, but what would I do if life forced me in a different direction?

Throughout my training we were often told that if you had a plan B you would never reach your plan A and that in order to become strong competitors in the industry we had to focus purely on our goal, which for me has always been working in musical theatre. Having left college and begun, through this course, to consider my practice, I am beginning to understand that a plan B doesn't have to mean a complete career change, but that there are many branches to my 'practice' that I can explore.

Adesola asked us to name our current practice, not our life long goal or fantasy job, but what we were actively doing, and I struggled with this. It sounds ridiculous I know, but being relatively fresh out of dance school and having trained in all styles of dance as well as singing and acting, what did that make me? A tap dancer? actress? singer? The honest answer is, none of these things, as even though I consider myself a singer/dancer, I currently 'practice' singing teaching...teaching.  Though once I had landed on teaching, this led to many other questions. Is my current scenario of auditioning and teaching on the side a trajectory of graduating? As we are expected to get out there and audition and probably all teach some form of performing arts related subject on the side to earn a living. Do I want to teach? Do I want to audition? ......ARGH. Too many questions, so to make things easier I think it is really important for us all to know the answers to these three questions;

1. Where are you?
2. How did you get there?
3. Where do you want to go?

Thats it. There are no answers to many of the questions inside my head (another important lesson learnt during the skype session!) but giving yourself a sense of location is vital in understanding and articulating what you want to do within your practice.





No comments:

Post a Comment