Friday 7 October 2016

Potential line of enquiry 1, understanding the stigma that surrounds the arts from childhood to adulthood, in particular interest to musical theatre.


The definition of 'Stigma' in the Oxford Dictionary:

Stigma - a strong feeling of disapproval that most people in a society have about something, especially when this is unfair:


There is no longer any stigma to being divorced.
Being an unmarried mother no longer carries the social stigma that it used to.

The definition of 'Musical Theatre' in the Oxford Dictionary:

Musical Theatre - a genre of drama in which singing and dancing play an essential part.

She had a successful professional career in musical theatre.

My teaching career is a vast one, as I am often from week to week, dotted around in different places, teaching various aspects of performing arts. I am always so conscious of the attitudes towards the performing arts, that I get from different age groups, be it children, teenagers of even adults, and I am extremely interested to learn whether others feel there is a stigma surrounding the arts, and if so, why its there. At the moment this question seems to me to span a scale that is too large, but I am hoping through reading and speaking with peers that I may be able to narrow my focus down and find a more specific line of enquiry.

My first port of call, for this particular subject matter, was to start a discussion group with some select friends of mine who are also teachers in various arts subjects. I did this via facebook as this allowed everyone to message some ideas to the group when they had time and meant the chat could remain informal.

The SIG instantly came up with lots of ideas and stories that, for me, shed new light on the subject. The overwhelming response to the question was yes, and although I am aware that at this stage I can't accept these responses as research in any way as I am still in the planning process, it was reassuring to know that I wasn't alone in my thinking, and that there was definitely something to potentially research.
 I have created a second mind map which adds on the further ideas I have been given by this group.


my original...


and the latest version...


One really interesting subject that came up within this chat was the power of modern technology on children. Most young children now have some form of tablet and with that comes a whole world of information. If there is a stigma towards the arts, what children watch, on tv or youtube etc will effect this greatly. We began talking about a particular children's tv show 'Wiggle Town' which has children on the show who dance - when it comes to ballet, they only show girls doing the ballet, therefore depicting from a very early age that ballet isn't for boys. I found this extremely interesting, as an adult will have made the decision to use only girls for this part of the show, but the potential effect this has on the younger generation is huge.

I have attached a link to a particular ballet episode of 'Wiggle Town'



The group then went on to discuss the power of the adult opinion towards the arts, and numerous examples were given. Primary school Teachers only sending girls in to assemblies which are going to advertise after school dance classes, only offering arts subjects as an extra after school, Head teachers scrapping all arts subjects completely, parents telling their children they aren't allowed to take an arts subject for GCSE because they don't deem them as important as the baccalaureate subjects. Science teachers pulling teenagers aside and trying to sway them from taking an arts subject, the government cutting arts funding! The list went on! 



I found this article on The Guardian Teacher Network particularly thought provoking as it addresses the stigma in another way.

 'There’s this stigma with the arts that only “unintelligent” students take those subjects. I still struggle to be taken seriously for taking arts subjects. I was told by advisers that dance and drama wouldn’t help me to get a suitable career, and by other adults that I was wasting my potential.' 

I am interested to see whether this is an opinion held by others, and what experiences people have had in regards to the opinion that the decision to take an arts subject is related to lack of intelligence. The positive effects of arts subjects is another matter that interests me. As I feel that there are so many factors to arts subjects that allow children to develop and learn in different ways, even if you are not the best actor, singer, dancer etc. Imagination, Co-operation, teamwork, personality, confidence, expression, public speaking are naming just a few of the benefits of arts subjects.

'To study arts subjects, you have to take risks, push yourself emotionally, expressively and creatively in every lesson, you have to persevere and be interpretive, passionate and collaborative. I’ve worked harder in these subjects than I’ve ever worked in my life.'

https://www.theguardian.com/teacher-network/2016/jan/31/career-arts-gcse-dance-stop-the-stem-subject-snobbery - Orli Vogt-Vincent - Jan 2016

Another interesting article comes from The Independent, which again cements the idea that the arts are being deemed as invalid, as growing pressure falls onto schools to compete with grades.

'What is even more saddening - perhaps frightening - is the attack that is taking place in the education system itself. Owing to a new obsession with league tables and exam results, the creative and collective nature of the arts has become to be seen as invalid, useless, and unbeneficial to children in education.'

http://www.independent.co.uk/student/istudents/arts-education-funding-is-essential-for-young-people-to-showcase-their-creative-talent-a6963836.html - Grace Fearon - april 2016


3 comments:

  1. Really interesting research here! I think people who pursue dance through a more academic route (at school/uni) often feel like they are under minded. When I tell people about my BAPP I am doing they often comment back on how easy that must be for me as I am dancing professionally... yet if a book lover is studying English literature I doubt they would say it must be so easy for them because they read... if that makes any sense?!

    I think your point about the effect of technology is one to be elaborated on. Also the effect of TV shows and viral social media posts on peoples' attitudes towards the arts. Are the more classical forms of the arts being overshadowed by the more modern styles and trends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes i definitely think there is soooo much more to look in to on all of the points raised! i'm also interested in how we change the stigma. what can we do to stop people from assuming that anything arts related is 'light'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Art history has just been removed as a A level choice - again - interesting topic - how can this topic be unpacked - looking at the various angles and pints of view - how could researching this topic - e.g. interviewing practitioners - add to your understanding - see Charnelle's work on music theatre questions in M3

    ReplyDelete