Friday 5 February 2016

Induction Inspiration

After introducing myself via skype to this years BAPP Arts applicants, through the medium of text I hasten to add (haven't quite worked out the audio set up yet) I felt compelled to take the plunge and write my first post to properly introduce myself and get the inital blogging jitters out of the way.

So! My name is Lauren Hoskins, although sadly when it came to spotlight and equity there was already a Lauren Hoskins so my stage name, after endless discussion and a family poll, is Lauren Laine, much to the amusement of my college friends who spent the remaining time leading up to our graduation calling me Betty. I did not think that one through.

 I am 23 and graduated last year from Cambridge Performing Arts, which most people recognise as Bodywork, with a level 6 national diploma in Musical Theatre, something I am tremendously proud of as I found my three years of training incredibly hard at times.
Prior to Bodywork, like many of us, I was heavily involved with the amatuer dramatics circle, particularly back in Norfolk where my family are based. Coming from a very 'showbizzy' family with my step dad writing and directing as well as being the NODA rep for the area and my mum working behind the scenes with props and scenery, I have always been encouraged to follow this path and my family have shown me endless support in doing whatever it takes to make my dream a reality.

While at High school and sixth form, as well as performing in whatever musical the local societies were putting on at the time,  and attending daily dance class, I taught singing in three local high schools as well as teaching privately and my teaching continued throughout my time at dance college as I took on to teach all three elements in various well known theatre school franchises as a saturday job.

Having graduated and moved to London, I now find that the majority of my time is spent queueing at Pineapple studios, and when i'm not waiting to sing my 16-32 bars (if i'm lucky), i'm either teaching or trying to focus myself at the gym in order to try and stay as fit and flexible as I was when I was dancing every day of the week. (Wondering how good I have to be all year before Santa finally grants  me my wish of enviable flexibility.)

Gaining a Degree has always been something I have wanted to do and having enjoyed my schooling at Sixth Form and finishing three years physical training, I am really looking forward to re establishing my academic studies. I have to admit that I find the idea of this way of learning quite daunting but I was comforted to hear others with the same concerns in the group discussion and I look forward to working along side fellow performers, teachers and graduates, reading their blogs and supporting them through this process aswell.

All for now!

 LL.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for this introduction Lauren.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren!
    I too also got through the Skype chat (via typing!) I'd love to hear how you actually managed to be at body works full time and teach as well. When I was at urdang I struggled to work one day a week for a few hours so hats off to you!!

    I look forward to reading future posts and best of luck on embarking on this course

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! A packed weekend is the only answer I can give you! 😂

    ReplyDelete