Wednesday 17 February 2016

Task 1a: Professional Profile


A CV is an absolutely vital element to anyone looking for work, whatever profession. In the performing industry however it plays an even more crutial role. If my agent wants to put me up for a private auditon my CV is looked at firstly to judge whether or not I am a suitable candidate and therefore worthy of a private slot. If not, my CV is on a table with the other hundred girls at the open audition, trying to get someone to notice it amongst the vast array of different formats and styles. So what works?

Firstly, a good headshot.  Every potential employer asks for a headshot and if the panel get to look at this before they even meet you, then its not only an honest photo of what you look like, but also a first impression. Know the job you are going for and pick a headshot to fit. Auditioning for a serious acting role? chose a serious shot. Auditioning for an all singing all dancing musical? Have a smiley choice handy. When I had my first headshots taken I was advised to choose images that would fit different catagories; happy/smiley with teeth, smile with no teeth, and a straight face.

             


These are the three, after much deliberation, that I decided on. Although most if not all the jobs i've gone for since graduating have required a smile! (check out the sneaky top reversal...I took unsatisfactory neck line options with me...oops.)
Once they have decided whether or not your face fits, (say what you will, what you look like is 90% of getting the gig!) then you CV is observed and the questions begin! Are they represented by an agency? How tall are they? What previous experience do they have? What is their vocal range? Where did they train? The list goes on, and who knows what the right answer is and what they are looking for, all you can do is make your CV as informative and clear as it can be.
So I thought I would use my CV prior to signing with an agency and compare it to my current one as I have minimal say in the layout or content really!




So as you can see, the first CV is one I designed myself and the one following is my agency format. VERY DIFFERENT. The key things to identify as significant changes are firstly, the absence of a picture in my current CV. After auditioning for a few things with the first CV I figured one picture of my face was enough and was confident that the panel would turn the page over, therefore leaving my extra mini headshot on the front rather insignificant. (For my first audition I had my 'moody' shot on the front and a larger smiley photo stapled to the pack. THATS RIGHT GUYS, I CAN DO IT ALL. no Lauren.) Secondly, the agency layout is very straight to the point. The header at the top of the page is of my agents contact details rather than my own and my theatre credits in and out of college have been combined. 

Web 2.0 has had a huge impact on the way performers can get their CV and themselves seen. 'Spotlight' is now deemed an industry standard with hundreds of actors, actresses and dancers signing up to the online CV website to get their face out there, as well as applying for auditions and castings, all from your computer. With professional communication technologies constantly growing and developing, there are many other casting websites that work the same way as Spotlight, such as casting call pro, starnow and talentpro to just name a few. All are just a quick google search away, gone are the days of the stage newpaper being the be all and end all!

Please feel free to leave feedback, its always appreciated!

LL x










5 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren!
    Love how clear and precise this is! - It's so clear and easy to read. I totally agree with the look being 90% of getting the gig (maybe not the way it should be, but hey ho!) Have you found this format of CV effective? I'd love to hear! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thankyou! its definitely not the way it should be, but at least we can take comfort knowing sometimes that it isn't a judgment on our talent. I've found since using my current cv that its acknowledged purely for the agency heading and maybe not the format itself but I cant really say! x

      Delete
  2. Hi Lauren,
    I'm really impressed with how clear and simple your CV looks. Mine defiantly need some work!

    Skye

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lauren your agency format is different - interesting to see how that compares - they say that the employer is the audience to the CV - agree with your comments about Web 2.0 and a 'google search away' and yet it is how we are expected to work now. I notice you have also badged this learning blog with photos - so this is also an online representation - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, found your post really helpful when amending my own CV! I have made a post about the changes I have made and how I took on your ideas, would love your feedback!

    ReplyDelete