Friday 15 April 2016

3a: Current Networks

The term 'networking' was something I wasn't familiar with until dance school and then all of a sudden the word was everywhere, all the time. My college always welcomed guest teachers on a weekly basis so I was fortunate enough to work with some incredible people who I was immediately encouraged to engage with to 'make yourself known'.
since leaving college 'networking' has become a much broader term and I now have many more networking circles.

After considering my current circles of networking, I have come up the following list. I think it is important to not only distinguish your networking circles but also where they are on the ladder in comparison with you, in order to decide the correct way to address said circle.



So to begin with, networking circles that are my equal:
-friends
-family
-fellow dancers
-fellow singers
-fellow teachers


Following this there are networking circles that I would correspond with more formally:
-my agent
-my bosses
-people who are highly regarded in the industry who I have worked with
-my teachers

I engage with my professional networks in many different ways and these alter depending on who I am talking to. The circles on the same step of the ladder as me I am most likely to text, call, facetime, skype, facebook message or tweet. Where as if I were to contact my agent I would most likely email as I feel this is more formal.
I don't feel like networking online is particularly professional, however as technologies progress, we are left with little choice. I personally think that the way in which we contact our networks is irrelevant now and whats more important is the language we use, hence why I am often more inclined to email as it can be structured correctly.


Networking is so important in the entertainment industry as so much of getting seen for an audition or even getting a job depends on who you know. This goes back to my point about there being numerous females in the industry all fighting for the same jobs, sometimes the only was to get a step up is to 'network' with the right people. I feel this is really quite sad and I wish we worked in an environment where jobs were given on talent rather than who knows who,  but rarely does it work that way.



Would love to hear others thoughts!

LL x









2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I also found it useful to split my networks into categories, personal and professional, but as I was writing the lists I found lots of people fit into both and some people were in one or the other depending on the circumstance. Did you find anything similar to this? For example a fellow dancer who you would class as an equal may one day be choreographing a show you are in, would you then speak to them in the same manner or would it become more formal because of the circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to read that others agree with it being a good idea to split networks into categories. I feel that networking is so important in such a competitive practice and I also didn't comprehend it fully until leaving education.

    As someone who doesn't have a Twitter it was insightful to read that you use it maintain contact and it will definitely be something I will consider using as a networking tool in the future.

    ReplyDelete