Sunday 10 April 2016

coffee shop chat

So its been a few days since our coffee shop chat and i'm starting to process some of the information that I was admittedly at first completely lost by. As there were only three of us in the chat, and I was the only module one, Danny and Jessica both had a lot to discuss on module three while I sat and listened and panicked for the most part!
Although the module three girls were miles ahead of me on the course, some of the things they said still hit home with me and so I thought i's share these with my fellow module one's!

'The answer is in your own experience'  this really resinated with me as it was only in a recent skype chat that we had discussed the need to stop searching for the answers and simply focus on understanding the questions. As the module three girls had chosen their lines of enquiry they had to create the questions and answers by themselves and so our topic of reflection is still so important to them as they come to the end of the course, because they are still having to use reflection to develop their enquiry.

'A dancer dies twice, so a dancer lives twice'  I have been writing my 2d inquiry for a few days now and one of the themes that has really cropped up a lot in my journal writing is the 'what if' or the 'plan B'. Having a lot of friends in the industry on social media I an constantly reminded that things go wrong, friends have broken a bone, or have got sick and are suddenly thrown into the world of the plan B and I think its something we all have to consider. The above quote really struck me as being so poignant as a dancers career is a short one, but instead of focusing on the negative, maybe trying to focus of the positive is key. We get a chance to re invent ourselves and take a new path.

Transition or progression?
transition: the process or a period of changing from one state or condition to another.
progression: the process of developing gradually towards a more advanced state.







This links to the quote above but I think we all need to stop seeing the phase between the end of your career as a dancer to becoming 'the question mark' as a transition and more of a progression. We are so aware even when training that a dancers life is short and I feel progression is a much more positive way of viewing this time of change. We don't simply go from one state or condition to another, we develop.


would love some thoughts as always!

LL x

2 comments:

  1. Great post about the chat - thank you Adesola

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lauren, hope your well?

    I unfortunately missed the coffee shop chat so thank-you for this post which has brought me up to date with what was discussed.

    'The answer is in your own experience' - This is so interesting and it relates back to our previous skype sessions with Adesola, its so helpful to be reminded that this is your own journey and we hold the answers that I often feel Im searching for. You have spoken about your 2d inquiry task and it just shows how everyones journey on this course is so different. Have a read of my 2d inquiry if you like, it would be interesting see whether we share the same thoughts, interests and ideas. It may just help you with with options for that plan B you have spoken about in this blog.


    Thanks, Lois x

    ReplyDelete