Saturday 16 April 2016

3b: theory of connectivity

social constructionism

The key quote that stood out to me when exploring constructionism was that 'through interaction we make meaning'. The idea that through social interaction humans construct meanings of the world and their experiences in it seems very vast but this led me to read more into the idea of networks being 'made' and not predetermined.
'All knowledge is contingent upon human practices'. The idea of our understanding or knowledge of a situation or 'thing' being dependant on our exploration really interests me as people within the performing arts industry all have such a wide range or experiences and therefore personal opinions which is considered knowledge within our networks. This also ties in with my view on connectivism.


connectivism

“Experience has long been considered the best teacher of knowledge. Since we cannot experience everything, other people’s experiences, and hence other people, become the surrogate for knowledge.'



As previously discussed in regards to social connectivism, we are now heavily reliant on technology to gain information and learn. We rely on others opinions in our social networks as knowledge when we have not experienced something ourselves. The idea that the way in which we learn needs to be modified saddens me and yet strikes me as true. The classic classroom teacher has been taken over by the internet, in particular google, which can give you the 'answer' (someones opinion?) quicker than a human being could probably respond. Further thinking into this led me to worry about how much we rely on online sources as being fact as I feel we take for granted that if google says it then its true. The online era we are in doesn't encourage us to think outside the box or to even question what we are told. This is true within the media as well as online, as a 'technology nation' if its on google or on the tv - its true, just because someone else said so? We do of course use online networking to learn but this all relates back to how well we trust the particular network or whether they are using 'game theory'. Definitely food for thought!



communities of practice

After reading about communities of practice I feel as though a few of my networking circles are in fact, this. When I listed in a previous blog my circles of networks who were equal to me  the majority of these I would also consider a community, the idea being that everyone shares information and ideas equal for the benefit of all involved with no hidden agenda or 'game theory' involved. The idea of a community of practice also links back to the idea of a human need for affiliation as this community allows people to have the support system in place that they require for advice or guidance. I would say that within my networking circles, my communities of practice are my performing arts friends from college and my 'work girls' who are on the same work level as me. Within these two groups we discuss our mutual interest in a relaxed, conversation manner, normally via text or private chat on facebook, both relaxed ways of communication. 


Ethical considerations for networking

Having explored the fore mentioned points in regards to the networked professional, the ethical considerations that became clear to me are as follows:

- networking via web 2.0 returns back to the beginning of this module when we discussed how we are perceived online. Online networking leaves you open to be viewed and judged.

- when discussing cooporation, it made me wonder if there was ever a time to justify being selfish? How much knowledge within the performing arts industry should be shared and what should be kept to yourself? A ridiculous example of this occurred when I was at college. People in third year would buy sheet music with their own money and then students in younger years would ask if they could photocopy it for their own rep.  Eventually the majority of the older year got fed up with paying out for the benefit of the rest of the school and started to say no! So I argue, is there ever a right time to be selfish and withhold information or resources?



As always, thoughts appreciated!

LL x





3 comments:

  1. I see what you mean about the third years but it isn't until you get to third year that you realise the struggle when your in first year you really could do with a helping hand. Its a tough one because if you are always the YES girl everyone will always come to you and it ends up with them taking the mickey so if you say No, its less hassle but is it fair ? I don't know I feel it might be up to time place and relationship between those students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find the ethical considerations for our subjects the most interesting. As I considered whether that form of 'selfishness' occurred in my own experience I struggled to think of any examples. Perhaps on a personal level, cooperation should ideally always come before competition but on a larger scale competition may be acceptable regarding a theatre's business for example?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do aswell Ben, there is part of me that wants to help everyone but also a part of me that thinks this industry is so tough, you have to learn to stand on your own two feet, no one is going to lend you sheet music when you leave college so why should they at college? I don't know, it's a really tough one. But it's dog eat dog, and if you aren't prepared for that whilst training when will you be? Z

    ReplyDelete