Friday 15 April 2016

3c: sources of information

My 5 main sources of information and their importance in regards to my professional practice:

My Agent
Thats what she's there for! My agent sources auditions for me, gives me all the information I need in regards auditions, deals with my contracts, makes sure I get paid and that everything runs smoothly, is there to answer and questions I have...I could go on!

My iPhone
My phone allows me to email my agent, check tube directions to get to an audition, check the weather to see if i'm going to be queueing outside pineapple in the rain, listen to any music, google lyrics just incase I forget, source backing tracks, source sheet music and call my mum to have a moan when i didn't get the job!




The Stage
Even though my agent is very on the ball when it comes to auditions, I still check the stage just in case any crops up that wouldn't be a typical job I would go for. I think its really important to get used to doing this daily anyway, I may no have an agent forever, and I need to be used to being self sufficient if that time ever comes.




Facebook
By liking any companies pages you can see when auditions are coming up as well as who is attending. My friends are always chatting via private messages about jobs and auditions coming up so its another good way of keeping in the know.



The Hustle
A page on facebook, dedicated to jobs for people in the performing arts industry, posting about classes, headshot deals, massage deals, jobs for people out of work which fit with auditions, auditions for agencies, auditions for companies, auditions for cruises and shows, everything performing arts related all on one page on facebook. The added bonus of this is that it works are a huge network in itself. People can ask everyone out there questions. If you want to know what its like working for a particular company for example, leave a message on the hustle page because there is bound to be someone on there that has worked for them before.

Looking forward to reading everyone elses!

LLx

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren,
    I have also used The Hustle to help find work and information before, but I have found its usefulness can vary. Much like some sites like StarNow I'm never 100% convinced that the job is going to be legit. I know they have recently been trying to create some guide lines to stop this from happening but I would be interested to know if you have any pointers to sussing out the useful information from the rest? Are you part of any other Facebook groups/websites that help promote similar information?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely overlooked my agent as a source! They are definitely the ones that we should go to first, however recently I have joined casting call pro which allows me to submit myself.. would you consider joining casting sites? Do you sometimes feel your agent has not got the connections you wish for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting read. I personally had never heard of Hustle until reading about it in your post so I've definitely learnt something new. Seems like a great place to inquire about a company before auditioning there. I will keep it in mind. I am of the understand that "The Stage" is a similar website to Network Dance but for more commercial auditions and jobs? How would you say the structure of these auditions changes depending on the genre you are applying for?

    As I have only danced in classical companies and only done strictly classical auditions I'd very interested to learn more about it.

    ReplyDelete